If you do not take proper steps for safety, being a pedestrian can be a dangerous activity.
Here are 7 keys to help pedestrians avoid car accidents:
- Before crossing a street, stop, look left, then right, then left again and if no cars are coming, cross the street.
- If it is dark, wear reflective clothing and carry a flashlight.
- Obey traffic signals and use crosswalks when available.
- Before crossing in front of a vehicle, make eye contact with the driver.
- Look inside parked cars to see if there is a driver before walking in front of or behind the car.
- Be sure to remove all toys from your driveway to keep your driveway from becoming a playground.
- Make sure your children are supervised at all times whenever vehicles may be present. Teach your children to NEVER play around vehicles.
Remember to walk defensively and you must be seen to reduce the risk of pedestrian accidents. For information about safe rides to school, go to Saferoutesinfo.org.