When you are injured in a slip and fall accident, you may have a claim against the owner or person in control of the property. Here are some of the steps that should be taken by you or a personal injury attorney if you are thinking about pursuing a slip and fall accident claim:
- Find out who owned or controlled the property.
- Report the fall to the owner or person in control of the property.
- Obtain the name, address and telephone number of any witnesses.
- Obtain photos of the defect that caused your slip and fall accident.
- Seek medical treatment.
- Notify the owner or person in control of the property to preserve any evidence concerning your slip and fall accident such as videotapes, incident reports, and photos.
- Determine/note where the owner, person in control or their employees were in proximity to the area where you fell at the time of your slip and fall.
- Obtain any maintenance records.
- Obtain any policies and procedures manuals of the owner concerning safety and maintenance.
Proving Your Slip and Fall Accident Case
It is important to follow these steps after a slip and fall accident before witnesses leave the scene of the accident and evidence such as videotapes, witness statements, and photographs are lost, removed or destroyed. Most experienced personal injury attorneys will send a notice to the person who owned or controlled the property to preserve evidence concerning the accident.
Following these steps can make the difference in proving liability in your slip and fall accident case.
Free Consult and Information
You can get more information about personal injury claims including how personal injury claims are processed and evaluated, steps in a lawsuit, hiring an attorney and mistakes that can ruin your claim from Attorney Bob Allison’s free book on Massachusetts personal injury claims. In addition, you can contact Bob Allison for a free consultation by calling him at 978-740-9433 or filling out our online contact form.