The Friendship of Salem

The Friendship of Salem, a replica of the 1797 vessel Friendship, is owned by the National Park Service. The replica was built by Scarano Brothers Shipyard in Albany, New York using modern materials and construction methods and was launched in 1996.

The original Friendship was built in Salem, Massachusetts by Enos Briggs at his shipyard on the South River.  It was 102 feet long and 27 1/2 feet wide and made 15 voyages before it was captured during the War of 1812.

From our office on Derby Street, we can see this beautiful full rigged ship (a sailing vessel with three or more masts) docked at the Salem Maritime National Historic Site. It measures 171 feet in length, has a 30 foot beam, and has a crew of 25 volunteers under the supervision of the National Park Service.

Most of the year, the ship is a stationary museum to visitors to Salem’s waterfront, however it is a fully functioning Coast Guard-certified vessel and sets sail several times a year to partake in maritime festivals close to home.

Tours of the Friendship, the U.S. Custom House, and the other historic structures located on Salem’s waterfront at the Salem Maritime National Historic Site are offered by the Park Service, offering visitors a chance to learn about Salem’s maritime trade and about the men who sailed the ship all over the world.  Salem’s Maritime National Historic Site was established in 1938 as the first National Historic Site in the United States.

For more information about the Friendship, please visit